Q. 1: The five sentences (labelled 1,2,3,4, and 5) given in this question, when properly sequenced, form a coherent paragraph. Decide on the proper order for the sentence and key in this sequence of five numbers as your answer.
1. The study suggests that the disease did not spread with such intensity, but that it may have driven human migrations across Europe and Asia.
2. The oldest sample came from an individual who lived in southeast Russia about 5,000 years ago.
3. The ages of the skeletons correspond to a time of mass exodus from today’s Russia and Ukraine into western Europe and central Asia, suggesting that a pandemic could have driven these migrations.
4. In the analysis of fragments of DNA from 101 Bronze Age skeletons for sequences from Yersinia pestis, the bacterium that causes the disease, seven tested positive.
5. DNA from Bronze Age human skeletons indicate that the black plague could have emerged as early as 3,000 BCE, long before the epidemic that swept through Europe in the mid-1300s.
Correct Answer:- 54123
Explanation:- The opener is this case will be 5 as it introduces the topic of the discussion i.e. when black plague emeged. After this 4 will come as it furthers the result of the examination of DNA fragments. After this 1 will come as it adds to 4. After this 2 will come as it gives the evidence of what is stated in 1.3 will conclude the story as the word ‘migration’ can be linked togather.
Correct Answer:- 32145 Explanation:-
3 begins the paragraph stating that turning the pages of family albums, which belonged to the pre-digital era, would reconfirm our basic instinct of documenting our presence in a particular scene on an important occasion, with those who matter to us. 2 follows 3 stating that there is nothing new in framing the vision of who we are, visually or otherwise, on social media such as our Facebook page. “This visual turn” in 1 refers to “framing the vision in our Facebook page”. Therefore, 1 follows 2 stating that “this visual turn” has accentuated “the announcing instinct of ours”. 4 carries forward the paragraph stating that framing the vision on social media empowers us to act as celebrities within the confinement of our respective friend lists. 5 concludes the paragraph talking about the ease with which the broadcast operation can be executed and how this often provokes (un)anticipated responses from beyond one’s location. Therefore, statements 3, 2, 1, 4, 5 form an appropriate sequence. Ans: (32145)
Q. 3: Five sentences related to a topic are given below. Four of them can be put together to form a meaningful and coherent short paragraph. Identify the odd one out. Choose its number as your answer and key it in.
1. People who study children’s language spend a lot of time watching how babies react to the speech they hear around them.
2. They make films of adults and babies interacting, and examine them very carefully to see whether the babies show any signs of understanding what the adults say.
3. They believe that babies begin to react to language from the very moment they are born.
4. Sometimes the signs are very subtle – slight movements of the baby’s eyes or the head or the hands.|
5. You’d never notice them if you were just sitting with the child, but by watching a recording over and over, you can spot them.
Correct Answer:- 3
Only statement 1 can begin the paragraph as all the other statements have cross references and cannot, therefore, make sense as opening statements. 2 follows 1 describing how “they” (meaning the people who study children’s language) make films and examine them carefully to see whether the babies show any signs of understanding what the adults say. 4, which says that sometimes the signs are subtle, is a continuation of 2. 5 concludes the paragraph elaborating on the “subtle signs”. Therefore, statements 1, 2, 4 and 5 form a sequence and 3, which says that babies begin to react to language from the moment they are born, does not form a part of this sequence and is, therefore, the odd man out.
Q. 4: Five sentences related to a topic are given below. Four of them can be put together to form a meaningful and coherent short paragraph. Identify the odd one out. Choose its number as your answer and key it in.
1. Neuroscientists have just begun studying exercise’s impact within brain cells — on the genes themselves.
2. Even there, in the roots of our biology, they’ve found signs of the body’s influence on the mind.
3. It turns out that moving our muscles produces proteins that travel through the bloodstream and into the brain, where they play pivotal roles in the mechanisms of our highest thought processes.
4. In today’s technology-driven, plasma-screened-in world, it’s easy to forget that we are born movers — animals, in fact — because we’ve engineered movement right out of our lives.
5. It’s only in the past few years that neuroscientists have begun to describe these factors and how they work, and each new discovery adds awe-inspiring depth to the picture
Correct Answer:- 4 Explanation:-
1 begins the paragraph stating that neuroscientists have begun to study the impact of exercise within brain cells. 2 follows 1 reporting the findings. 3 follows 2 elaborating on the signs of the body’s influence on the mind. 5, which states that each new discovery – made by the neuroscientists – adds awe-inspiring depth to the picture, forms an ideal conclusion to the paragraph. Statement 4, which is a very generalized statement conveys a different idea and does not form a part of the sequence 1, 2, 3, 5. Hence, 4 is the odd man out. Ans: (4)
Q. 5: Five sentences related to a topic are given below. Four of them can be put together to form a meaningful and coherent short paragraph. Identify the odd one out. Choose its number as your answer and key it in.
1. The water that made up ancient lakes and perhaps an ocean was lost.
2. Particles from the Sun collided with molecules in the atmosphere, knocking them into space or giving them an electric charge that caused them to be swept away by the solar wind.
3. Most of the planet’s remaining water is now frozen or buried, but clues over the past decade suggested that some liquid water, a presumed necessity for life, might survive in underground aquifers.
4. Data from NASA’s MAVEN orbiter show that solar storms stripped away most of Mars’s once-thick atmosphere.
5. A recent study reveals how Mars lost much of its early water, while another indicates that some liquid water remains.
Correct Answer:- 1
Explanation:- The opener in this case will be 4 as it some solar storm swept the atmoshere away from the mars. After this 2 will come as it explains how the event described in 4, happened. After this 5 (chrono-pairing) will come as it talks about the recent study on presence of water on mars. After this 3 will come as it tells about the status of remaining water. 1 is odd one as it gives examples of the water resources (specific).