Q. 1: The six sentences (labelled 1,2,3,4,5 and 6) given in this question, when properly sequenced, form a coherent paragraph. Decide on the proper order for the sentence and key in this sequence of six numbers as your answer.
1. This has huge implications for the health care system as it operates today, where depleted resources and time lead to patients rotating in and out of doctor’s offices, oftentimes receiving minimal care or concern (what is commonly referred to as “bed side manner”) from doctors.
2. The placebo effect is when an individual’s medical condition or pain shows signs of improvement based on a fake intervention that has been presented to them as a real one and used to be regularly dismissed by researchers as a psychological effect.
3. The placebo effect is not solely based on believing in treatment, however, as the clinical setting in which treatments are administered is also paramount.
4. That the mind has the power to trigger biochemical changes because the individual believes that a given drug or intervention will be effective could empower chronic patients through the notion of our bodies’ capacity for self-healing.
5. Placebo effects are now studied not just as foils for “real” interventions but as a potential portal into the self-healing powers of the body.
Correct Answer:- 25431
Explanation:- 2 begins the paragraph describing placebo effect and goes on to sate that placebo effect used to be dismissed by researchers as a psychological effect. 5 follows 2 stating that placebo effects are now being studied as a potential portal into the self-healing powers of the body. 4 follows 5 elaborating on the effectiveness of placebo effect in empowering chronic patients to believe in the notion of our bodies’ capacity for self-healing. 3 carries forward the discussion stating that the placebo effect is not based only on believing in treatment and that the clinical setting in which treatments are administered is also important. 1 concludes the paragraph reiterating the importance of placebo effect in providing effective treatment. The appropriate sequence is 25431.
,Correct Answer:- 43512
Explanation:- 4 begins the paragraph describing how the dictionary was a necessity for the 18th century reader and this cause was championed by a vigorous and practical champion. 3 follows 4 describing this champion – Samuel Johnson and goes on to describe Johnson’s qualities. 5 follows 3 by elaborating on Johnson’s watchwords, stating that Johnson believed that language must have a daily practical use. 1 complements 5 elaborating on how Johnson treated English very practically. 2 concludes the paragraph with the statement that Johnson masked a profound inner torment and found solace in compiling words.
Q. 3: Five sentences related to a topic are given below. Four of them can be put together to form a meaningful and coherent short paragraph. Identify the odd one out. Choose its number as your answer and key it in.
1. Although we are born with the gift of language, research shows that we are surprisingly unskilled when it comes to communicating with others.
2. We must carefully orchestrate our speech if we want to achieve our goals and bring our dreams to fruition.
3. We often choose our words without thought, oblivious of the emotional effects they can have on others.
4. We talk more than we need to, ignoring the effect we are having on those listening to us.
5. We listen poorly, without realizing it, and we often fail to pay attention to the subtle meanings conveyed by facial expressions, body gestures, and the tone and cadence of our voice.
Correct Answer:- 2
Explanation:- Statement 1, which states that although we are born with the gift of language, we are not skilled when it comes to communicating with others. 5 follows 1 explaining how we end up being unskilled in communicating with others. 3 and 4 further elaborate on how we are unskilled while communicating others. Therefore, 1,5,3 and 4 form a sequence and 2, which has an advisory tone and mentions how we must orchestrate our speech if we want to achieve our goals, conveys a different idea and is, therefore, the odd man out.
Q. 4:Five sentences related to a topic are given below. Four of them can be put together to form a meaningful and coherent short paragraph. Identify the odd one out. Choose its number as your answer and key it in.
1. Over the past fortnight, one of its finest champions managed to pull off a similar impression.
2. Wimbledon’s greatest illusion is the sense of timelessness it evokes.
3. At 35 years and 342 days, Roger Federer became the oldest man to win the singles title in the Open Era – a full 14 years after he first claimed the title as a scruffy, pony-tailed upstart.
4. Once he had survived the opening week, the second week witnessed the range of a rested Federer’s genius.
5. Given that his method isn’t reliant on explosive athleticism or muscular ball-striking, both vulnerable to decay, there is cause to believe that Federer will continue to enchant for a while longer.
Correct Answer:- 4
Explanation:- It’s elementary to pair (2) and (1) as “similar impression” in (1) refers to “the sense of timelessness” in (2). (3) comes to the point and identifies the “one …finest champions” as Roger Federer. (5) follows by giving reasonable reasons for his longevity. However, (4) refers to match specifics, which is out of the broad scope of this particular paragraph.
Q. 5: Five sentences related to a topic are given below. Four of them can be put together to form a meaningful and coherent short paragraph. Identify the odd one out. Choose its number as your answer and key it in.
1. Those geometric symbols and aerodynamic swooshes are more than just skin deep.
2. The Commonwealth Bank logo – a yellow diamond, with a black chunk sliced out in one corner – is so recognisable that the bank doesn’t even use its full name in its advertising.
3. It’s not just logos with hidden shapes; sometimes brands will have meanings or stories within them that are deliberately vague or lost in time, urging you to delve deeper to solve the riddle.
4. Graphic designers embed cryptic references because it adds a story to the brand; they want people to spend more time with a brand and have that idea that they are an insider if they can understand the hidden message.
5. But the Comm Bank logo has more to it than meets the eye, as squirrelled away in that diamond is the Southern Cross constellation.
Correct Answer:- 1
Explanation:- (2) introduces the Commonwealth Bank logo and (5) ups the ante for the bank logo. (4) explains what designers do thus to enhance a brand value and (3) takes the paragraph into a “deeper” context. Again, (1) makes reference to symbols, whereas only a ‘logo’ is specified in the passage, hence the answer is (1).