The CAT VARC section has grown increasingly difficult since 2015. In order to tackle the tougher CAT Level VARC questions for the CAT Exam, it is important to understand the basics of Reading Comprehension, Para Jumbles, Para summary, Para completion etc. To obtain a great CAT score, make use of MBAP Free Study material with detailed solutions and video explanations. Check out MBAP free Mock test to take these questions in a test format for free. The purpose of this page is to help you prepare for that. Take a crack at those VARC Section!
Q. 5: Five sentences related to a topic are given below. Four of them can be put together to form a meaningful and coherent short paragraph. Identify the odd one out.
1. As India looks to increase the number of cities, our urban planning must factor in potential natural disasters and work out contingencies in advance.
2. Authorities must revise data and upgrade infrastructure and mitigation plans even if their local area hasn’t been visited by a natural calamity yet.
3. Extreme temperatures, droughts, and forest fires have more than doubled since 1980.
4. There is no denying the fact that our baseline normal weather is changing.
5. It is no longer a question of whether we will be hit by nature’s fury but rather when.
This question too is a little dubious because all the statements seem to go together. 1 and 2 form a pair. They speak of the same thing- things we must do to avoid disaster. Option 4 will start the paragraph because it introduces the idea. So the right answer boils down to 3 and 5. Either could be the right choice. The official answer, however, is 3