The CAT VARC section has grown increasingly difficult since 2015. In order to tackle the tougher CAT Level VARC questions for the CAT Exam, it is important to understand the basics of Reading Comprehension, Para Jumbles, Para summary, Para completion etc. To obtain a great CAT score, make use of MBAP Free Study material with detailed solutions and video explanations. Check out MBAP free Mock test to take these questions in a test format for free. The purpose of this page is to help you prepare for that. Take a crack at those VARC Section!
Q. 3: Five sentences related to a topic are given below. Four of them can be put together to form a meaningful and coherent short paragraph. Identify the odd one out. Choose its number as your answer and key it in.
1. One argument is that actors that do not fit within a single, well-defined category may suffer an “illegitimacy discount”.
2. Others believe that complex identities confuse audiences about an organization’s role or purpose.
3. Some organizations have complex and multidimensional identities that span or combine categories, while other organizations possess narrow identities.
4. Identity is one of the most important features of organizations, but there exist opposing views among sociologists about how identity affects organizational performance.
5. Those who think that complex identities are beneficial point to the strategic advantages of ambiguity, and organizations’ potential to differentiate themselves from competitors.
Let us link the sentences logically and find out which sentence does not conform to the main theme of the paragraph. It is clear that the paragraph is about “identity”, more specifically, identities of organizations. Sentence 4 is the introductory sentence since it introduces the theme of “identity” and the opposing views among sociologists about how identity affects organizational performance.
Sentence 3 follows sentence 4 by mentioning two types of identities that organizations have – some organizations have complex and multidimensional identities while other organizations have narrow identities.
Sentence 5 follows sentence 3 by mentioning “those” who think complex or multidimensional identities are more beneficial to organizations and sentence 2 will follow sentence 5 with “others” who feel the opposite – complex identities confuse audiences about an organization’s role or purpose.
Sentence 1 is about “actors” and not about identities at all. Secondly, it is more about “categories” than identities. It does not fit in with the rest of the sentences in the paragraph.
Hence, the correct answer is option 1.