Coding-Decoding, as the name suggests, is based on the candidate’s intellectual ability to decode a complex question given in the form of codes or conditions and answer questions based on it.
Coding and Decoding problems comprise of many concepts that require analytical and logical thinking. Practice is the only formula to get through these questions. To get a better understanding, we have mentioned below some coding decoding reasoning tricks that are used while solving these problems:
Below you will find certain coding and decoding aptitude questions along with the solutions for your understanding:
1) SNAP 2020
In a certain code language “CONSTRUCTION” is written as “EMPQVPWAVGQL”. What will be the code for “DESTRUCTION” in the same language?
IV. None of the above
V. Cannot be determined
For each word, the code is alphabet position +2 followed by -2 for the next alphabet in the word. So as seen for CONSTRUCTION similarly DESCTRUCTION will be coded as FCUAVPWARGQL. Since this code is not there in the options, the answer will be None of the above i.e Option IV
2) SNAP 2019
Directions: Study the data given below and answer the following questions:
1. ‘Royal Monarch Regal’ is written as @ # *,
2. ‘Regal legacy Gold’ is written as * % ?,
3. ‘Hope Gold Life’ is written as % & $,
4. ‘Regal Monarch Morals’ is written as # * ∀
Question: What will be the code for Regal?
3) NMAT 2020
Directions: The data given below represents a coded language for different colours, analyze it and answer the questions following it:
1. “black orange yellow purple blue” is written as “set jet let get bet”
2. “grey green red purple” is written as “get pet wet vet”
3. “purple blue red silver” is written as “vet set get tet”
4. “grey orange pink” is written as ” bet ret pet”
Question: Based on the information given above, what is the code for red?
4) NMAT 2019
Directions: Study the information and answer the following questions: In a certain code language
1. “who claimed form government” is coded as “U%7 V%14 Y*23 E*12 ”
2. “the support legislator massive” is coded as “ O*22 P%9 I*7 H*22”
3. “won the test with” is coded as “ E%19 H%7 H*22 E*13”
Question: What is the code for ‘formation’ in the given code language
V. None of these
The correct answer is V*13 i.e option I, since for “formation” V= Immediate successive alphabet in reverse order, *=total letters in formation are odd and 13=numerical value of reverse of the last letter.
• Students are supposed to have basic knowledge of all types of coding and decoding reasoning logics. For this, we recommend using the MBAP CAT E-Book (Concept Theory) study material.
• They should have analytical ability and mindset to solve the questions logically. If you find difficulty understanding the concepts, use the MBAP Live Lecture Recording (Basic) on Basic Concepts.
• Skills acquired by practice to identify the steps in the coding questions and solve them step by step.
• Go through multiple coding decoding practice set and read the questions carefully as sometimes minute changes in the question may change the answer.
• To get better clarity on Coding-Decoding, use MBAP CAT E-Book (Practice Questions) and solve all the relevant practice questions. Also, solve the MBAP lecture assignment to complete the basics.
• Avoid solving lengthy questions in the beginning and mark them for review and solve in the end based on the level of difficulty.
• Plan time needed to solve a question to save unnecessary time wasted on difficult questions.
• Practice questions similar to the examples given above to get acquainted with all types and all difficulty levels of questions.
• It will be way easier for you to attempt the questions by solving previous year papers. They are all readily available if you use MBAP Topic Wise Previous Year CAT Questions.
Practice questions of coding-decoding from the advanced level of previous CAT papers, NMAT, XAT, SNAP, mock tests and materials. Attempt these questions taking the time into account. Taking too much time for advanced level questions will hamper the performance in exams. For further advancement on this topic, use MBAP CAT Advance E-Books and solve the MBAP Previous Year CAT paper.